The City of Longview requires licensure from all businesses operating within the city limits of Longview, as well as businesses physically located outside city limits that deliver goods or perform services for customers inside city limits. 

Business License Information

License Types

General Business - Fee: $50

General business licenses are the most common, and applicants are encouraged to apply online via the Washington Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Services website. 

Specialty Business Licenses  - Fee: Varies

Specialty city licenses are handled internally at Longview City Hall, and should NOT be applied for online. Specialty licenses may also require supplemental documentation prior to approval.

  • Admissions
  • Auction
  • Cabaret
  • Carnival
  • Circus
  • Fireworks Stand
  • Mobile Vendors
  • Pawnbrokers
  • Political Signs
  • Pool Tables
  • Second Hand Sales
  • Skill Games
  • Taxi Companies and Taxi Drivers

Temporary Business Licenses - Fee: $50

Temporary licenses are ideal for businesses that operate seasonally, or anticipate only having one short project during the calendar year. A temporary license is valid for 90 days. Application forms are generally reviewed and licenses issued within the same day at Longview City Hall. Temporary licenses are to be applied for internally at Longview City Hall at 1525 Broadway Street.

*Please Note:

Before any type of city specialty license application can be approved, businesses must have or obtain a Washington Master Business License, and provide their UBI Number. To apply online, visit and click on State Business License Application. Fee: $19

Applying Online

Washington Department of Revenue: Business Licensing Services

 City of Longview general license applications are available at the website listed above. Before starting the application, please have the following information available:

  • Ownership Structure (Sole Proprietor, Partnership, LLC, Non-Profit)
  • Owner and Spouse Personal Information (Full Name, Address, SSN, Phone Number)
  • Business Information (Location, Start Date, Activities, Estimated Annual Income)
  • Employee Information (Number of Employees, Ages, Activities, Desired Workers Comp Coverage and/or Unemployment Insurance)

Have questions about the website? Call (800) 451-7985.

Washington Secretary of State

If the business structure is a Corporation, Limited Liability Corporation, or Non-Profit Organization, businesses should register with the Secretary of State prior to completing a city business license application. The fee to register online is $200.

Need more info? Call (360) 725-0377.

Labor and Industries

Performing contracting work in Longview city limits? Be sure you are licensed through L&I before applying for a city license.

Questions? Call (360) 902-5226.

Department of Revenue(DOR)

My DOR is the Department of Revenue’s new online application for business licensing.

With My DOR, you can:

  • File an annual renewal
  • File a Business License Application
  • Check on the status of a business account
  • View and pay any outstanding fees
  • Update account and business information

Registering for My DOR

You can access My DOR by clicking on the Login button in the upper right corner. You will need a Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID.

If you forgot your SAW user ID, or aren’t sure if you have one, click Login in the upper right corner then click See if you have a user ID.
If you do not have a SAW User ID

  1. Click Login in the upper right corner
  2. Click Sign Up and follow the prompts.
  3. You will receive an email with a link to activate your account. Click on the link to sign in.
  4. Follow the directions under Setting up My DOR.

If you have a SAW User ID

  1. Click Login in the upper right corner.
  2. Login with your SAW user ID.
  3. Follow the directions under Setting up My DOR.

Add access to your business

  1. Click Open this Service next to Business Licensing.
  2. Click Add Access to Business and enter the UBI and letter ID for the business you’re trying to access.

Adding users

If you’re an Administrator on your account and need to give access to someone else, such as your registered agent or bookkeeper, follow the steps above, then:

  1. Select the business to which you want to assign access.
  2. Click Manage Logons.
  3. Click the Add User tab and follow the prompts.
    • Note: You will need the My DOR user ID and email address for the person you want to add.

If you don’t see the Add User tab, you only have Account Manager access.

Using My DOR

After you establish your My DOR account, you can do the following tasks while logged in.

File a Business License Application

  • Click File Business License Application.
  • Complete fields and click Next to move through the application, click Previous to return to a prior screen, and click Save to finish the application later.

You can view your completed application or retrieve a saved application by clicking the Requests tab from the Business Licensing home, then clicking on the confirmation number.

Add a new business location

  • Click the business name.
  • Click Add New Business Location and follow the prompts.

Update legal name or addresses

  • Click on the business name of the business you want to edit.
  • Click the Names & Addresses tab, then click Mailing Address.
  • Enter the updated mailing information in the address fields, then click Verify Address and select the best address.
  • Click Save to submit the change, then click OK.

Add or update governing people

  • Click on the business name of the business you want to edit.
  • Click the Governing People tab, then click Update Governing People.
  • Check the Edit box to make changes to a current governing person’s information, or click Next to add a new governing person. Follow the prompts to complete the request.

Regulations and Requirements

City of Longview Community Development Review

Once the City of Longview receives an electronic copy of your application, the Community Development staff reviews the proposed business location and activities to ensure it complies with city regulations. If there are any concerns, you will be contacted for clarification. Once approved, a business license number is assigned and approved with the Washington Department of Revenue, and your official business license will be mailed within 7-10 business days.

Certificate of Occupancy, Fire-Life Safety Permits and Inspections

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for all commercial businesses located within Longview city limits. This is an annual permit to occupy a building or structure as classified for use by the Longview Community Development Department. Annual Fee: $20

Fire & Life Safety Permits are required for all businesses that maintain, store, use or handle hazardous materials, or that conduct processes which produce conditions hazardous to life or property, or that install equipment used in connection with such activities, as defined by the Uniform Fire Code, Article I, Section 105. Annual Fee: $62 (per permit)

For questions, or to schedule an inspection, please call (360) 442-5088.

Home Occupation/Residential Businesses

If your business is located within a residential district of the City of Longview, you must comply with Longview’s home occupation ordinance. Full text of the ordinance is available at the following website:

The City of Longview does require a business license to operate a home occupation within the city. The business license fee is $50.00 a year. To apply for a license please visit

Home occupations are permitted within the following zones:
  • Residential District, R-1
  • Residential District, R-2
  • Residential District, R-3
  • Residential District, R-4
  • Traditional Neighborhood Residential District, TNR
  • Mobile/Manufactured Homes Subdivision District, M-S-H**
  • Planned Unit Development, PUD
  • River Front District, RF-1

Questions? Please call (360) 442-5092 or (360) 442-5087.

Changing/Updating or Renewing Business Licenses

Need to make changes to your business or contact information? The following options are available at: :

  • Add a new location to your existing business
  • Add a license to your existing business
  • Add or change trade names
  • Add employees
  • Change your business address
  • Close your business account
  • Change your business structure

Renewing a Business License

Department of Revenue Business Licensing Services will send you a renewal notice approximately six weeks before your license expires. You may renew your license by logging in to your My DOR account.

Business and Occupation Tax Returns

Tax Rates

All businesses operating in the City of Longview, except those specifically exempted by State law or by the Longview Municipal Code, must pay Business and Occupation (B & O) taxes.

Business classifications and tax rates are as follows:

  • Contracting (0.001%)
  • Wholesaling and Manufacturing (0.001%)
  • Retailing (0.001%)
  • Printing and Publishing (0.001%)
  • Utilities (rates listed in Section 5.04.470 of the Longview Municipal Code)
  • Services (0.002%)

Quarterly vs. Annual Tax Returns

Taxes are calculated based on the gross amount earned within Longview city limits. Quarterly payment schedules are as follows:

  • 1st Quarter: January - March (Tax due on April 15th)
  • 2nd Quarter: April - June (Tax due on July 15th)
  • 3rd Quarter: July - September (Tax due on October 15th)
  • 4th Quarter: October - December (Tax due on January 15th)

If the gross income of the business, subject to tax after all allowable deductions, is equal to or less than $20,000.00 in the calendar year, then a return shall be filed annually by January 31, declaring no tax due. 

*Please note: Businesses must file returns even if no business activity occurred during the period, to avoid incurring any penalties. Questions? Call (360) 442-5040

Last updated: 10/16/2018 10:37:31 AM