Community and Economic Development
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1st, 2022: Our NEW online Permit Management System https://longview_wa.permittrax.com/Citizen
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1st, 2022: An updated valuation table will be in effect based on the 2020 ICC Building Valuation Data Table. This table is updated annually.
Applying for a Permit
Permit applications are accepted:
- By mail/courier
- At the counter (no appointment necessary)
- Via our online permit portal (if eligible)
Forms, procedures, standards, code information, and common project checklists are available here: https://www.mylongview.com/170/Forms-Handouts
Applying for Permits Online
At this time only "One Stop" permit types are eligible for online issuance, if your submittal includes plans for review, please make arrangements to submit your application package by other means. "One Stop" permits are for projects like electrical, plumbing, or mechanical installations, re-roofs, window replacements, or construction of a shed or fence.
The process is a little different than you may be used to, here are the key steps:
Step 1: Application – You apply for your permit, initiating step 2
Step 2: Evaluation, Assessment, Authorization – We evaluate the information provided, adjust the fees for accuracy and authorize step 3: your payment to be made online
Step 3: Payment – You pay your fees which sends us a notification that fees are paid, initiating step 4
Step 4: Issuance and Document Attachment – We issue the permit and attach the permit document for you to print
You can schedule inspections online via the new system, if you receive an error when attempting to schedule please call the inspection in to the phone line at: 360-442-5090
If you are searching for an old permit, you can do so with the search feature. Add to your quick link permits under "My Permits" by selecting the "My Permits" option at the top of the permit information page.
Online plan submittal is COMING SOON! Please call us or email with questions.
QUESTIONS? Call or email us! 360-442-5086 or email@example.com
When leaving your message... You may also leave information like lock box codes, requests for call back, etc. If you do not ask, we will not typically confirm your appointment. Please be sure to be near your phone if requesting a call back, as we will only have the ability to call one time.
Permit/Property Records Search by Property Address
First time here?
Whether you're a new homeowner or just new to our permitting process, it can be intimidating and overwhelming to navigate your first time.
We are here to help! You can stop by, email, or call us to get questions answered.
Generally, most alterations or new construction will require a permit in Longview. There are some circumstances where permits aren't required, just contact us to help you determine if you are unsure.
Common projects that require permits include (but are not limited to):
- Fences (new or replaced)
- Driveways (new or replaced)
- Sheds (new or replaced)
- Replacing windows
- Replacing a range hood, appliance vent, bathroom fan
- Changing a sink, toilet, tub or shower
- Electrical alterations (panel change, re-wiring circuits, altering circuits to install light fixtures or GFCI outlets)
Failure to obtain permits can result in fines. More importantly, inspecting the work to ensure code conformance can prevent disasters in some circumstances.
The Community Development Department is comprised of four divisions serving basic community service functions:
- The Building Division regulates building and use of structures for public safety through the application of adopted codes and ordinances including plan review and inspections.
- The Planning Division provides public information services and promotes land use and development in accordance with City policy and applicable laws.
- Special programs such as the Community Block Grant (CDBG), the HOME Program, and the Document Recording Fee Program are administered under this department.
- Under the Code Compliance division, common concerns subject to abatement of such items as tall grass, noxious weeds, junk vehicles and unconfined garbage on private property are addressed.
Note: City Hall is closed on Fridays and most Federal Holidays, as such, permitting and inspection services will not be offered on these days.