The City of Longview is committed to providing a safe work environment.
Accident Prevention Program
The city Accident Prevention Program, governed under a committee charter, is approved by the City Manager and is guided by Human Resources, Risk and Safety Manager. The Accident Prevention Program and Accident Prevention Committee shall seek the commitment of all management, supervisors and staff to their safety roles and responsibilities in the workplace.
In addition, the program insures organizational compliance with Washington State Labor and Industries, Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), and the United States Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
Risk & Safety Manager Activities
Risk and Safety Manager activities include, but are not limited to:
- Administering the City Occupational Health and Safety program.
- Administering Insurance Reserve budgetary line items for safety activities.
- Attend and serve as a resource at monthly departmental safety/staff meetings.
- Conducting safety inspections and accident/incident investigations (follow ups).
- Developing safety policies in accordance with Washington Administrative Code and other regulations.
- Developing, coordinating and conducting the safety training program.
- Guiding the leadership of the city Accident Prevention Committee to executive their responsibilities as identified by the Accident Prevention Committee charter.
- Maintaining an information system for accurate recording of safety records and statistics.
- Provide leadership by fostering a proactive safety culture through teamwork.
- Provide metrics for analyzing and allocating loss control costs to budgetary units.
- Providing assistance to the City Clerk in liability claim activities with regard to employee accidents involving third parties.
- Providing information and assistance to Worker Compensation team with regard to personal injury claims.
- Providing new employee and volunteer safety orientations.
- Providing proactive opportunities for improvement as a result of accident/incident follow ups.
- Providing safety and loss control consultation for the City organization and its departments.
- Providing safety, industrial hygiene, and ergonomic information and guidance to City personnel.