- If an Education Notice is issued, the case is closed and no re-inspection is scheduled.
- If a Violation Notice is issued, a case is opened and a re-inspection will occur.
- If a second inspection finds no garbage or other non-recyclables, the case is closed and no further re-inspections will be scheduled. A random inspection will take place the following year.
- If a second inspection finds garbage or other non-recyclables, a letter is issued to the occupant of the residence and owner (if the occupant is a tenant), providing information of the repeated violations and what will take place should a third violation occur.
- If a third inspection finds no garbage or other non-recyclables, the case is closed and no further re-inspections will be scheduled. A random inspection will take place following year.
- If a third inspection finds garbage or other non-recyclables, a second letter is issued to the occupant of the residence and owner (if the occupant is a tenant), providing information that the recycling cart will be removed. A ten-day appeal period begins.
- If no appeal is requested, the recycling cart is removed. The billing status is changed to a “garbage-only” account, with the rates increasing by $10 per month.
- The recycling cart is not returned unless the occupant or owner requests it.
Multi-Family / Apartment Complexes
The inspection process for multi-family or apartment complexes, five units and above, follows the same inspection process as for residential, with the following exceptions:
- The owner of the complex receives a letter from the city after each of the three violations notices received.
- If no request is received during the ten-day appeal process, all of the brown 300-gallon recycling containers are removed and replaced with an equal number of 300-gallon garbage containers.
- The rate structure for the garbage rates is changed from a “per-unit” charge to a commercial account. The new garbage rates are based on the total number of garbage container and the number of picks per week.
- The 300-gallon recycling containers are not returned unless the owner or management agency requests it.