The Longview Police Department established a Cadet program to help educate and involve youth and adult volunteers in police operations, to provide them experiences related to future law enforcement careers (ex. police officer, police dispatcher, corrections officer, prosecuting attorney, crime lab technician, etc.) and to offer mutually beneficial community service opportunities for volunteers, full-time staff, and the citizens of Longview.
Objectives & Duties
The objectives of the Cadet Program are:
- To further the cadet’s education.
- To provide and encourage the cadet’s participation in rewarding and productive community service activities.
- To prepare the cadet for gainful employment in future law enforcement careers and help them become productive citizens, community members, and leaders.
Cadets play a key role in major community events in the City of Longview including July Go 4th Celebration, lake bank activities, and Crime Prevention Fairs. Cadets are also called upon to assist when unexpected events occur such as flooding, high winds, major crime scenes, and disasters.
Becoming a Longview Police Cadet
Applications to become a Cadet are available at the Longview main station and at the Police Satellite Office.
If you are interested in joining the Longview Police Cadets, you must:
- Be between the ages of 16 and 21 years of age and completed the 8th grade
- Have a guardian approval and signatures on an application packet (less than 18 years)
- Be in ordinary good health having no physical defects that would hamper the performance of their duties
- Must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher in school or have graduated from an accredited high school or General Educational Development (GED) program
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Live within one hour of Longview Police Department unless authorized by the Chief of Police
- Fluently read and write English
- Have never been convicted of any Felony
- Have no arrests for offenses involving moral turpitude or a pattern of arrests, which indicate moral character of a questionable nature
Longview Police Cadets are expected to:
- Donate a minimum of 10 hours per month
- Attend all required training
- Complete one patrol ride-along per month
Applicants must pass:
- A drug screening
- An extensive background investigation
- An oral board interview
There is ongoing training for all members of the Cadet Unit.