Engineering Permits

Purpose of Permits

All permits issued by the Engineering Department are designed to do one or more of the following:

  • Alert the permit holder of their responsibilities while working in, occupying or traveling along the public right of way and the potential liability should City infrastructure be damaged.
  • Assure that emergency service providers and other urban service providers are made aware of planned blockages of City right-of-way for whatever legitimate purpose.
  • Control the proliferation of obstructions, of whatever nature, within the public right of way.
  • Limit the potential for damage to road infrastructure by limiting the routes of overweight and/or oversize vehicles.
  • Protect the City and its citizens by insuring that work performed in the City's right of way is conducted in a safe manner and to City standards.

Types of permits

  • Banner Permit
  • Motor Vehicle Permit
  • Right-of-Way or Public Improvement Permit
  • Special Event Permit
  • Utility Connection Permit

Applying for a permit

There are three ways to apply for a permit.

  1. By mail/courier
  2. At the counter (no appointment necessary)
  3. Via our online permit portal

Applying for Permits Online

At this time, only Right-of-Way and Public Improvement Permits (PIP) are eligible for online application.

Key Steps

Step 1: Application – You apply for your permit.

Step 2: Evaluation, Assessment, Authorization – We evaluate the information provided, set the fees and authorize your payment to be made online.

Step 3: Payment – You pay your fees which sends us a notification that fees are paid.

Step 4: Issuance and Document Attachment – We issue the permit and attach the permit document for you to print.

Time Frame

  • Right-of-way permits are generally issued within eight calendar days. 
  • PIP’s have a longer review time and may take up to 28 calendar days for the first review.


  • You can schedule inspections by calling the inspection phone line at: 360-442-5090, press 1 after the initial recording.

Questions and Resources

Accepted Forms of Payment

  • Cash
  • Checks made out to "City of Longview"
  • Visa and MasterCard Debit / Credit Cards

Who To Send Completed Forms To