Permits & Inspections
Planning and Building Permits
The department of Community and Economic Development, also known as Planning and Building, is available at City Hall to answer your permitting questions Monday - Thursday from 7AM to 6PM (excluding holidays). Our department handles Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical, and Building permits as well as Planning/Zoning/Land Use, Environmental and Fire permits and related services. Standards, fees and requirements for common permits (and more) are available on our Forms and Handouts page.
Inspections can be requested by calling our 24-hour Inspection Line at 360-442-5090
Inspections are performed Monday-Thursday (except holidays) from 7AM to 5PM. Please call at least 1 day in advance, the cut-off time is 6AM to be scheduled for a same-day inspection. If you have an online account, you may also use our online scheduler.
When calling, make sure to leave the following information in your message:
- Permit number
- Project address
- Type of inspection being requested
- Date and time you are requesting the inspection be performed
- Your name and contact info
Permit history search by address: Please visit this link to use this new feature.
Please note: All existing records may not be available in this database. Please contact our office if your search requires more detail than this database offers for your property. In most cases, plans are not available via this database.
More questions? You can email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 360-442-5086 with any questions or concerns. We also offer pre-application meetings and courtesy inspections on an as-needed basis, just contact our office and we will be happy to discuss your needs and schedule a time to go over your project.
Planning and Building Online Permits
If your application requires plan review, you will need to submit in-person or by mail. Only one-stop permits are eligible for online permitting. These include plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits. We will also accept one-stop building permit applications for sheds, fences, re-roofs, replacement windows and siding in most circumstances. If you have questions about whether or not your project qualifies for online issuance, please give us a call or send us an email.
Need to get set up for our online permit software? Email us! You'll need to provide the following information in your email:
- Your Washington State UBI
- Contractor's license number(s)
- City of Longview Business License number
- The main contact for your organization and their email address
- Any other contacts you may want to apply for permits at your organization and their email addresses
Shortly after we input your data, you will receive an automatically generated email with instructions on how to create your password. You'll have 24 hours to do so before he link expires and will need to be regenerated.
Some helpful tips for a successful online application:
- If applicable, ensure your Contractor's License and City of Longview Business License are up to date
- Google Chrome is required to utilize CommunityConnect by Meritage Solutions
- Add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your "Safe Senders" list so emails are not blocked
- Need help with using our online program? Click here to view our step-by-step guide.
Public Works Permits
The department of Public Works - Engineering division handles some types of permits which are not within private property borders. These permits include:
- Right-of-Way Permits
- Public Improvement Permits
- Special Event Permits
- Motor Vehicle Permits
- And more...
For more information on the permits that the Engineering Division offers, please visit their dedicated permits page.
To contact the Public Works Engineering Division, or to schedule a Right-of-Way permit inspection you are encouraged to call 360-442-5200