The City of Longview would like to remind residents that all homes and business must have approved address numbers on the building that are plainly visible from the street and from the alley, per Longview Municipal Code.
“It’s important that all structures be clearly marked with the street address so that utility services or emergency service personnel can find your building in an emergency,” says Code Compliance Manager Gregory Hannon. “All buildings having vehicular access to alleys in the city are also required to display street numbers so that they are clearly visible from the alley.”
Hannon asks that the following guidelines be followed when placing address numbers on buildings:
- Make sure that the numbers clearly contrast with their background. Numbers that are the same color as the background are difficult to see.
- Numbers are to be a minimum of 5 inches in height.
- Place the numbers in a location where they can be plainly seen from the street and/or alley, not blocked by vegetation or other structures.
- In the alley, place the numbers on the structure closest to the alley (i.e. fence, shed or garage).
- Commercial and industrial buildings should have addresses plainly visible on the front and back of buildings.
Any questions about building addresses may be directed to the Code Compliance Department at 442-5093 or 442-5222 Monday through Thursday between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.