Does the vacation need to be granted by ordinance?

Yes, this is required. A certified copy of the ordinance granting the vacation must be recorded by the clerk and a copy must be sent to the office of the auditor of the county in which the land is located.

Show All Answers

1. Who may start the street vacation process?
2. Must a public hearing be held before a street may be vacated?
3. Who owns the vacated property?
4. What if the city owned the underlying fee to the street area?
5. May the city charge the abutting property owners a fee for the street vacation?
6. May the city retain an easement for underground utilities that may be in the vacated area?
7. Does the vacation need to be granted by ordinance?
8. May a portion of the street be vacated?
9. May a street that abuts a body of water be vacated?
10. Is there a statute that provides for an automatic vacation of streets if they are not opened for public travel within a certain time period?