May a street that abuts a body of water be vacated?

State law prohibits a city or town from vacating a street if any portion of the street of alley abuts a body of fresh or salt water unless very specific procedures are followed. These procedures are outlined in the Revised Code of Washington 35.79.035 and should be checked very carefully before attempting to vacate any such street.

Show All Answers

1. Who may start the street vacation process?
2. Must a public hearing be held before a street may be vacated?
3. Who owns the vacated property?
4. What if the city owned the underlying fee to the street area?
5. May the city charge the abutting property owners a fee for the street vacation?
6. May the city retain an easement for underground utilities that may be in the vacated area?
7. Does the vacation need to be granted by ordinance?
8. May a portion of the street be vacated?
9. May a street that abuts a body of water be vacated?
10. Is there a statute that provides for an automatic vacation of streets if they are not opened for public travel within a certain time period?