Installation of a private water softener is a matter of personal preference. Because residential softening systems replace the calcium and magnesium with sodium, consumers will experience increased salt intake. You are encouraged to research any water softener product, particularly customers with sodium-restricted diets. Water softened by private softening systems tends to be more corrosive to household plumbing than hard water, and it is not recommended for watering plants, lawns and gardens due to higher sodium content.
This information was developed with input from the following sources:
- American Water Works Association, Public Notice Article, May 2007.
- City of Ferndale, WA Hard Water Fact Sheet
- National Research Council, Drinking Water and Health, Volume 3, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- Washington State Department of Health Division of Environmental Health Office of Drinking Water Sentry website, August 2013
- Wilson, Amber; Parrott, Kathleen; Ross, Blake. “Household Water Quality - Water Hardness”. 2009.